View Single Post
# 11 13-11-2003 , 08:38 PM
Well dirack, if I were you before I got into making such complicated scenes and sequences, I would learn the basics of modeling in Maya. What your asking us to do, basically, is walk you thru the process to get your idea done.

While we're here to help guide you along the path, you're not going to see two sets of footprints in the mud, if you get my meaning.

If you have no experience in Maya, then I would suggest starting with some of the free video tutorials we have here. They're a great insight into the workings of Maya and its tools and capabilities. If you don't find what you need here, then CGTalk has a thread posted in their Maya section that lists hundreds of tutorials for various things.

I'm not saying we won't help you, but it sounds to me like you're asking more of us than you should. You are the artist, it is up to you to create. We are here to help you, but don't expect us to do the work for you.

But to point you in the right direction, for that particular sequence you'll want to learn the following:

Modeling - You'll need to know how to model the terrain and the suit of armor. Here's a great thread here at Simply Maya from a guy named Contrast who is building a suit of armor. https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=6050 If you have any particular questions about armor, I would ask someone who has experience in building that sort of thing. I, personally, have never built armor, so my knowledge would be limited in that particular area.

Paint Effects - Does nice grass.

Dynamics - Soft bodies and water effects galore! Plus you'll need to know how to make fields that the surfaces react to (ie. grass blowing in the wind, water ripples)

Texturing - Makes all the difference. A nice model with a crappy texture makes a crappy model. Terrain is particularly tough sometimes to get right.

Now, an alternative to doing all this stuff by yourself would be to ask people if they would like to help model some thing for you. I have done this in the past and found it quite resourceful. Plus, the people here are learning just like you and may actually enjoy working on your project with you for the experience.

Another would be to dig deep and pay for the work. Those who are more than capable of turning out a professionally looking product are probably already working in the field and don't have time to do free stuff. But they'll be more than happy to give you top quality stuff for the right price. user added image

I hope that information helps start you on your way to creating some fantastic artwork. And if you get stuck, just come here and ask us and we'll see what we can do to help you. I'm fairly knowledgeable in most aspects of Maya, Mike is a whiz, and the rest of the guys... well... between you and me, that Kevin guy is a bit of a strange one, I'd watch out for him. user added imageuser added imageuser added image

Good luck!

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu