Thread: Fireworks
View Single Post
# 4 18-11-2003 , 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Dann
Hey kBrown,

Thanks for the assist, but a wierd thing is happening. When I created a script with that text called myworks02.mel, I get an error message
// Error: Cannot find procedure "myworks02". //

Lemme guess. You didn't source your script? Just say "source myworks02.mel" in the command line. Or restart Maya. Otherwise Maya doesn't know a thing about your script.

One way would have been to copy-paste the script in to the script editor and execute it. This way the global procedure would have persisted in the memory until you quit Maya...

If I remove that text and go back to the simple command I had before that did nothing, it finds the script but of course doesn't work. I'm guessing it's a bogus error message meaning something else is wrong.

Not sure what you mean here...

As I try to dissect and understand your MEL, might there be an error in the "for" condition? Doesn't it set $i to 0 every time? should it for $i ==0?

Also, $i is defined as an integer, but with no value. Does that automatically make it's value 0?

Thanks again,
-dann

No, the script is a working one. I tested it after posting it user added image

The $i is defined as an integer and because I didn't assign it a value maya initializes it to 0.

The for loop is alright too. Please excuse my bad explanation but it's like:
Code:
// for( <iterator and initial value>, <test condition>, <what to do on every round )
   for(          $i = 0             , $i < $numColors ,  $i++                      )
Basically $i is first set to 0 and on every round it is incremented by 1 ($i++). The loop is repeated as long as the test condition is true ($i < $numColors).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!