Thread: dodge this
View Single Post
# 8 16-12-2003 , 06:51 PM

Originally posted by f50
looks like you've got an excellent start there. keep it up and this will be quite a nice model.

one suggestion is to never let your rendering program render to a JPG, they usually give terrible results (as you can see with your overly compressed images). it's better to save them as TGA or PNG and then use something else (like Xat.com's image optimizers) to make a jpg.
if you'd done that intentionally then it's understandable and ignore what i just wrote user added image

I render to JPG all the time and get great results. ???
While TGA will give you optimal reults, it's not entirely necessary, especially for a W.I.P. pic. Lots of steps you have to take thru your suggestion to achieve the same end result with a few rendering tweaks. user added image

ZED: You got a great start there. Keep it going. And I too am curious why you would export to MAX to render when you can get the same results with Maya and Mental Ray. ??? Yes, MAX's renderer is way faster than Maya's but if you want to save yourself the trouble... user added image

Why not model the tires instead of displace map them? DP is costly and very consuming. Takes a long time to render sometimes. And if you dont have a speedy computer, could crash it. Just model it. Do a small section of the tire and duplicate it around and axis to complete the whole tire. user added image

BTW: Max does not suck.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu