View Single Post
# 1 22-12-2003 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber

Need help with an indention technique

Ok, I pulled this screenshot of a modified LW mesh that i imported into maya. It's a trek mesh and i'm trying to figure out how to put windows in my own mesh to get the same effect as on this one. I do know a few things. These windows were done with the lightwave stencil tool so anyone familiar with that will know what i'm talking about here. Also, these windows were extruded from an origonal surface (Gray area) now i know how to extract the faces so i can change the material so don't worry about that. What i want to know is if there's an easier way than using split polygon and then extrude face.
Using animation snapshot i'm able to create a template for where windows should be but i wish there were a way to project that template onto the poly mesh ans have real vertices and edges just there. THen i could easily extrude the faces and extract to a new set of polys. I reall just want to get that perfect square cut. So... The effect i want is circled in green and hopefully the info i've given will give you guys some ideas. I'm just kinda stuck on getting edges and verts onto my surface mesh. THanks for your help people.
-Dave Berry

Attached Thumbnails