View Single Post
# 35 28-02-2004 , 03:36 AM
I am going to start the body of the dragon.

I will keep the posts under this thread and hopefully if I complete it this can be a complete record of my progress on this project.

Day 1:

- massed out the neck, body, tail, leg and middle toe using nurbs

Possible problem:

I do a fair job of modeling given a decent reference drawing unfortunately the reference drawing for this dragon body looks more like a chicken body.

Even Kurt in the tutorial had to make some fairly significant changes in proportion to get it to look better.

As you can see from the attached screenshot of my initial massing of the creature using nurbs the proportions just are not right.

I will have to do my best to try to re-work the references before I continue and convert these nurbs to poly's.

SUGGESTION TO THE AUTHOR:

I would rather work on building my skills at building a model and matching a good reference drawing then spending much time refining my artistic skills redrawing the references.

This is a skill I wish to learn but for a modeling tutorial it detracts from the learning process to have to stop and redraw the references. If I continue using the body reference (as I did fathfully on the head model) I will end up with a DracoChicken.

For those of us not as gifted in the art department you might want to consider posting the referance drawings for the version of the dragon as you completed it to make it easier for those of us that would prefer to model and not break the flow of the tutorial to have to learn to draw a better reference. user added image

Here is the initial ROUGH nurbs masses:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 28-02-2004 at 03:54 AM.