View Single Post
# 9 30-06-2003 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
there are also rendering plugins for that kind of thing available. I beleive there is one somewhere on www.highend3d.com.

you dont need plugins necessary. if you work with poly (not sure if it works with subd) you can use this little workaround.

you apply automatic mapping to ensure all wires are same width. now you save a uv snapshot. import to photoshop (or any other image program) invert it so it is black lines on white. maybe even enlarge dark areas (not sure how it is named in english - only have german version of ps) so the wire is thicker. now back to maya - create a material for the wire (in my example a stucco) and connect the outcolor of the image to the transparency. now you already have a renderable wireframe. create layers shader and put the wire on top and the normal shader of the model below. if you make then normal shader black, then you dont see the wireframe which is hidden.

also once you have created the wireframe on the low res version - you can smoth the poly as in my example - and have the wireframe of low poly on the high poly rendered model. and wireframe is rendered using a own shader.

here is the shading network and a render:

Attached Thumbnails