View Single Post
# 1 27-07-2003 , 01:06 PM

For what is the fillet tool good for, if there is always a space between the surfaces

Hello friends !

Well, well, I think it´s a never ending story with the FILLET Tool in Maya. I decided to model in nurbs, because I think that nurbs are really cool for doing such stuff like modelling cars or airplanes, and some other technical things.

Now, I´ve tried a lot with simply two surfaces, which I wanted to connect or melt with a simply Circular Fillet or a Freeform Fillet.

But all attempts bring me the same problem . the fillet does not close the surfaces. There is always a space between the surfaces, and so I don´t get a good mesh.

I don´t want to fix the problem with the tesselation settings, because this only takes effect in the render process. And I want to have a good mesh.

Special Thanks to big Mike. His suggestion is, that I should convert the nurbs into polys, and after that I can fix the problem by "merge vertices".

But now there is one big question:
For what is the nubrs modelling good for, and for what is the fillet option good for, if it will never work in nurbs, and I always have to convert my surfaces into polys ?

I decided to show you some images, how I´m experimenting with the fillet tool. It shows the problem.

user added image
user added image
user added image

Okay, it would be really great, if we could fix the problem !!!
Thank you soo much for every little help, & special thx to BigMike !!!!

:bgreen: bernhard

contact me via MSN: rieder@utanet.at