Thread: Smiler
View Single Post
# 47 06-09-2009 , 03:19 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Mayaniac

While you maybe be working on pre-existing models (especially for the commercials). You still may have to create something that is unique. Even though it is not of you own design.

but you will always work from references. which someone has drawn up.

It's all about being a well rounded artist. And sure, as a low ranking member of a studio, you may not be given too much choice on what to model, but as you move up there may be a better chance to expand, and maybe add personal touch to a project.

you wont have to add a personal touch. there are people paid way more money to do that, they are called directors.

not a studio that does tid bits for movies, and some commercials, I was aiming more for studios working on games, and studios working on effects for movies. Places where truly unique designs come to life. Places where your imagination can strive.

haha, you make it sound like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory! user added image

just so you know, my company don't do tid bits for movies. I suggest you try to organise a tour of a studio near you, if you want to learn how a movie/game is made...
also, when you talk about effects for movies are you meaning dynamics?

I think learning the basics gives you a better foundation to move on and create original characters and whatever. If i were an employer i would like to see that someone is able to do the simple stuff well, rather than a full character with lots of mistakes. I believe that would make you a better all-round artist.

Dango's has made a really good start, all i was suggesting is that he look at references. it may help him decide how he wants to move on in zbrush.