View Single Post
# 249 05-01-2010 , 06:14 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by legendofzombi

However Art is not something that is learned. A person either Is an artist, or isn't. Yes you have to learn the software you are using and techniques that need to be employed for this and that. But a person who is not artistic or imaginative can know all day long how to Use the software in question and not produce a scrap of art with the knowledge.

I disagree entirely, while it isn't something you can get better at by reading a text book but if someone really makes an effort to improve their imagination/creative ability/ artistic ability then they can.
You used reproducing an object as an example but with practice and dedication someone can easily get better at doing it.

I don't believe anyone is born with/without talent, I think you have to work for it (Although a lot of it is decided before you really get to think about it (age<5), so it depends on your upbringing) but you can still get better well after that age (besides, the sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up user added image ).

For example, me and my brother are genetically identical (identical twins) and it is widely accepted that he has zero creative ability. While I'm not that creative, I am certainly more so than him and I think that's because I've stuck at it longer, I played with lego, I modeled with plastercine and I was well below average in all creative things to start with, but I feel I am gradually getting better, I'm certainly getting better at recreating things (with plastercine at least).

https://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/as28g11/