View Single Post
# 46 06-11-2010 , 10:04 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Nice work. It has a nice retro style to the design - almost Flash Gordon.

Mind the divisions on the final smooth as it looks a little unbalanced and over the top. Especially between the main stock frame work to the gas cylinders. It would be pointless to divide it that much, as judging from the topo theres enough there for a standard poly smooth '3' there.

This would be a nice model to paint up in Mari.....yum!!!

With regard to the hard surface modeling in maya ( I know, dog with a bone) I can see the arguement from both sides. Maya does have issues with hard surfaces especially if it is a complex design to be saught after so you have to weigh up the methodology of how you are going to make it it.

I recall the seam and fillet issues in maya back in the day when everyone and his dog was using them as standard. I was taught alot of modelling techniques from an Alias Wavefront guy back then and even he said it was a dog to use, it inspired him to write a script to correct issues after using each command to rectify the problems. Fortunately after that we all started using subds and then came the poly smooth - such is life LOL

look forward to the rest

Jay