View Single Post
# 1 24-08-2005 , 08:31 PM

Booleans (Union)

Hello,

I know I posted in the other topic, but I decided that it would probably be best to create my own topic. I am using Lynda's tutorials, and am at the robot modeling section.

Basically, a curve is used to revolve into a surface (the body). A loft between two curves is used to create a rectangle-shaped surface. This is placed in the body where the mouth needs to go (before this you also create the eyes). You are supposed to go to Edit NURBs -> Booleans -> Union Tool, select the body, hit enter, select the mouth, and hit enter. However, I get an error when I do that.

I have tried re-creating the lofted box and doing the boolean at least 10 times (not exaggerated), but I just can't get it to work! This what is shown in the script editor (relevant to this issue):

select -r |Body ;
select -tgl loftedSurface1 ;
{ string $Selection1[]; $Selection1[0] = "LidShape"; $Selection1[1] = "Gasket1Shape"; $Selection1[2] = "BodyShape"; $Selection1[3] = "EyeShape2"; $Selection1[4] = "EyeSocketShape2"; $Selection1[5] = "EyeGasketShape2"; $Selection1[6] = "EyeShape1"; $Selection1[7] = "EyeSocketShape1"; $Selection1[8] = "EyeGasketShape1";
string $Selection2[]; $Selection2[0] = "LidShape"; $Selection2[1] = "Gasket1Shape"; $Selection2[2] = "BodyShape"; $Selection2[3] = "EyeShape2"; $Selection2[4] = "EyeSocketShape2"; $Selection2[5] = "EyeGasketShape2"; $Selection2[6] = "EyeShape1"; $Selection2[7] = "EyeSocketShape1"; $Selection2[8] = "EyeGasketShape1"; $Selection2[9] = "loftedSurfaceShape1";
performBoolean 0 0 $Selection1 `currentCtx`; };
nurbsBoolean -ch 0 -nsf 9 -op 0 Lid Gasket1 |Body|Body Eye2 EyeSocket2 EyeGasket2 Eye1 EyeSocket1 EyeGasket1 loftedSurface1 ;
// Error: stitchAsNurbsShell1 (Stitch As Nurbs Shell Node): Stitch as NURBS shell failed. The following input surfaces failed to stitch: |Body|Gasket1|Gasket1Shape |Body|Eyes|EyeLeft|Eye2|EyeShape2 |Body|Eyes|EyeLeft|EyeSocket2|EyeSocketShape2 |Body|Eyes|EyeLeft|EyeGasket2|EyeGasketShape2 |Body|Eyes|EyeRight|Eye1|EyeShape1 |Body|Eyes|EyeRight|EyeSocket1|EyeSocketShape1 |Body|Eyes|EyeRight|EyeGasket1|EyeGasketShape1 //
// Error: boolean1 (Boolean Node): Input shell A is empty. //
// Error: explodeNurbsShell1 (Explode Nurbs Shell Node): Not a valid NURBS shell. //
// Error: Command nurbsBoolean failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

I have everything in a group named "Body" (it didn't work before I created the group, so no need to suggest that).

I really want to move on, so I would appreciate a timely response. Thank you! user added image