Thread: ITV April 6th
View Single Post
# 10 23-03-2008 , 06:05 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Si

Yeah I was involved in a lot of character work. The studio has a Manchester and London Division, and I was based in London and was literally the only Character modeler guy there along with the character concept artist, Mark Reeve, who has work for DC Comics in the past, great guy and very funny, there were 3 other character dudes up in Manchester. the rest of the people there were animators or editing or prop building.

I built 30 out of 60 of the main characters in the end and corrected alot of models with bad topology, or ones that Mark didnt feel matched the original designs, although there was a bit of room to let stuff thru if we couldnt match it pic for pic. I really complained some days because the stuff was so bad that was coming from Manchester, I would end up wasting 2-3 days just figuring what the hell was going on with the geo...and uv layouts too, some of it was enough to make you go blind. So by the end of the contract, they gave me all the more difficult characters to make. I was bashing out characters from scratch in and around 3 days, 4 at the max if changes were needed to accomodate mocap or directorial comments.

I remember one day getting an email from one of the guys in Manchester, basically handing me his model in defeat of not being able to create good loops around the eyes. It then took me two days to redo the head, I could have made it from head to toe in 3 days as I said.

On the whole it was a great few months work and I learned alot and was also happy to pass on my knowledge to the even the senior animator guys as they were more involved on other projects which involve 3d matte painting and camera moves etc or blowing the crap out of stuff. All in all it was awsome!!

I really hope everyone is inspired when they see it, the quality is just great, it has a nice style.

sorry for the long answer
Jay