View Single Post
# 19 22-02-2007 , 10:45 PM
gster123 > 'I think it might be a conflict between the 64 bit processors and Maya 7.0 (as its 32 bit, I think that 64 bit versions of maya only started on version 8, or it could have been 8.5) that could be why its running slowley.'

I'm not sure sbout wether 64 bit processors will run 32 bit code slower, but I think its unlikely. I do remember reading somewhere that Windows XP 64 bit and Vista 64 bit will run 32 bit programs in emulation mode so that could be the cause of slow downs.

gster123 > 'I would see if the current maya PLE can be downloaded in 64 bit versions if so grab a copy and give it a go????'

The last time I checked Maya PLE at Autodesk was about a week ago and they offered only 7.0... I don't think thats 64 bit...

trikeman > 'It was no quicker turning Hypre-threading off only thing that make a differance is to only have two cores on and tell it to use all processors.'

OK, so turning off Hyperthreading gave no improvement, so I guess we'll have to try something else...

Your Xeons are 64 bit so are you running a 64 bit version of XP? Like I said before, XP 64 bit emulates 32 bit programs so they run slower. A 64 bit processor doesn't nessacarily need a 64 bit OS so if you have an older version of Windows XP thats not 64 bit, try it by installting it on a second hard disk or partition and see wether it renders faster.

Anyways, I noticed the RAM you have ain't the same speed as your processor's bus. I don't know wether its the cause of the slow renders, but its a bit odd that the speeds don't match. Generally, its best to the RAM running at the same speed as the processor bus, that way your memory will be at its most effiecient and thus overall performance will be better.