View Single Post
# 1 12-03-2007 , 08:43 PM

High resolution textures without large PSD files?

Hi everybody,

As a bit of Background, I have recently swapped from Lightwave to Maya and am having some difficulties adjusting. I know similar topics to this have been posted before (even by me!) but I am still having trouble with this concept.

The situation is:

I have a building that I want to put a brick texture on.

At the moment, I have made a UV map of my building. I took a 3000 x 3000 UV snapshot thereof, and chucked on some nice brick wall textures.

So far so good, you might think.

But my problems are twofold:

1. The resolution of my brick wall is not quite up to scratch. The actual camera I will be using for rendering is reasonably distant, so this probably won't be a problem, but I am a perfectionist . . .

I have turned the image filter to "off", which definitely improved it, but I think there is still room for more . . .

2. The image file that has my bricks in it is 15.7MB, which to my mind is not quite ideal (especially since I have a feeling the solution to No. 1 might be "export a larger UV map").

I would rather use a smaller file, if possible. And I would MUCH RATHER use a small file, of a small number of bricks that can be used as a repeating image map.

This is how I would do it in Lightwave and have always found that it works perfectly well. I would REALLY like to do the same in Maya, if such a thing is supported.

Can anybody tell me if such a thing is possible?

Thanks in advance

Ricki