View Single Post
# 1 30-04-2005 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber

Modelling the Vanguard tank from PlanetSide

Okay, so I'm taking a break from the Ferrari 360 tutorial. I enjoy it a lot, but the problem is I'm scatterbrained, and if a new idea pops into my head, I need to get right on it -- which is usually a sign I need a break.

So, I'm trying to model the Vanguard tank from the MMOFPS game PlanetSide. Being the newbie I am at modelling I still am I still trying to learn what to do, and what not to do. Granted, if something works, then it's doable, I guess, but if it can be done better.. well..

Take a look at the grill at the front of the tank below. As you can see I have edges running through all of the model just so I can extrude those holes (which may or may not be air intakes - which seems like an odd thing to put at a tank there).

user added image
Click on image for larger version ^

Some pics I used as reference: One, Two, Three.

I'm not sure, but it feels like it's excessive, creating a lot of unnecessary polys, but I'm at a loss at how to make a clean solution of this, and still keep it as one piece..

Or maybe keeping it as one whole piece is not the way to go. I don't know, what do you people think? user added image