View Single Post
# 2 14-06-2003 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber

Re: Checkerboard Fur

Originally posted by sjurick
Hello all.

I have what is probably a simple task in Maya and cannot figure it out. I have a checkerboard plane and have attached fur to it. I want to get the fur to be black in the black squares of the checkerboard and white in the white squares. I have been reading the doc on fur and it says to add noise to the base / tip colors, but this only produces a leopard skin effect (attached) which isn't good enough.

Is the only to get this effect to work by making a seperate map and if so how do I do that and get it into the fur description / or feedback? I'd rather not have to use an outside program and stick with Maya's native capabilities if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

yes - i have a solution for you.

you create 2 furs. one in white and one in black. maya wants to complain when you attach more than one fur description to an object. so you just make a copy of your plane, and switch the second off not to be rendered. the white fur with furdescription1 gets applied to plane1 and the black fur with furdescription2 gets applied to plane2. now you turn the checker texture of the plane into a file (in hypershade edit->convert to file texture). 256x256 is fine. you copy the image and invert it. i call them file1.tga and file2.tga. now you select plane1 and go to fur->paint fur attributes tool. you select furdescription1 and baldness. and in tool options you go to map - select file1.tga and say reload, reassign attribute map and as import value luminance. redo the same, but with plane2 selected, and select in paint fur attribute tool furdescription2 and baldness. go to map import file2.tga, reload and reassign attribute maps.

and you should end up with this (note that the fur has the same attributes - only the base color and the tip color is differant.) - of course you could make the white fur shorter than the black one. and my quick test was with light brown and dark brown fur on a nurbsplane.

hope that solves your problem user added image

Attached Thumbnails