View Single Post
# 25 20-11-2010 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
Yeah. I like the idea of some lighting challenges. The J Birn style idea, with the scene files at the end is good. And definitely agreed with the 1 month duration idea.

A couple of other ideas I've also had are.

1) Texturing challenge. I had an idea about a challenge that could test peoples texturing, the idea being to basically model anything, or perhaps everyone could work off the same model, but see who could make best use of materials and shading. Mental Ray materials, Shader trees, best use/combination of colour/spec/diffuse/reflection maps etc. So say you had...I dont know....a desk with some objects on, or a window sill, or just a single object like a picture frame, where you could go in and really go to town on combining maps for the best results?

2) I think CG Society does a brilliant thing by asking its challenge winners to put together a little overview including wips of the technical and thought processes that went into making a winning entry. Perhaps as a further learning aid, future challenge winners could be asked to do the same, and write a commentary on how they created their piece..?