Thread: need advice
View Single Post
# 5 21-01-2011 , 05:25 AM
I don't work in the game industry but I would think you would be fine. As far as modeling, many of the models require higher polycount to start off with. For LOD's, it's easier to keep true to the charater by deleting edges from higher poly models than it is to model a lower poly model and then add in details. Also, some models require a high poly version anyway in order to create a normal map for a low poly version. It's all about trying to fake as many details as possible with texturing in order to keep the poly count as low as possible.

I don't know much about game animation but I would think it would be pretty similar to animation for movies except that in games its all about cycles. A run animation cycle, a walk cycle, a few idle cycles, etc. Sometimes the animations might even be separated by parts of the body so you can mix and match cycles. If a character needs to fire a weapon, you would create an animation cycle for that. You get the idea.

I'm not a lighting person but I'm learning quite a bit lately. I think if you understand lighting, you could pretty much do lighting for games or movies, just gotta learn the tools that are available.
Bottom line, I don't think a person trained for creating movies would have any trouble transitioning into creating games.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!