View Single Post
# 1 08-09-2010 , 04:51 PM

Need some help with course assignment

Hello folks, I started a new study program this week, with a modeling course. We're basicly given an assignment already, while most of us have never touched Maya, and had to learn some of the basics in a 1.5 hour during lecture, we feel quite left in the dark, though it is understandable as the school wants us to learn by ourselves as much as possible. So I started to work on the assignment, but am stuck now. We basicly have to follow certain steps, but we lack the details on how to. (The tutorials we are given are really really basic and not useful for me).

The assignment contains that we disassemble and scan a carton box of any kind, crop the image (so the carton fits exactly on the canvas, (no white borders)). The next step is to put this image on a plane as reference and basicly create the shape of the silhouette by tracing the shape with the create polygon tool. Then we had to actually project the image (the scan of the disassembled carton) on the newly created mesh, after a lot of fiddling in the Create UV's menu, I managed to project the image of the carton, on the mesh.

However, I have no idea on how to complete the next steps, wich are described only vaguely (to me). The steps, quoted from my assignment description are:

j. Project UVs on carton (done)
k. Make shader
l. Attach carton scan as map
m. Apply shader to model

I am not sure what is meant by these steps, hopefully someone can explain what these steps mean, and how to commence them. It will also allow me to help my co-students further.

Thanks in advance.