View Single Post
# 8 05-08-2004 , 07:34 PM
Lol, u know what education serves for? user added imageso that u alrready know what the **** im babbling about user added image and that i knew wtf a doctor or engineer or psicolog or informatic etc babbles about when speaking about something on his area of expertice...user added image

And, in a sci-fi unreallistical world, with a high enough level of education: so that we could make an educated guess about each politician individually, a guess about how he would fare on each government possition, and then vote them individually for a particular charge, because we have logical reasons to think it would make the choices that would represent us in the best possible way in that particular area .

serious now:

Originally posted by Kaydray

It is not so much (I would say) a lack of 'production and demand' of education that the country (I am writing from the US) suffers from, but more a lack of focus and direction in that education, which is a different issue. Maybe considering education and it's benefits an externality is a problem in other countries, but it's already a pretty well-discussed issue in the US.
I would even say there is too much focus on so-called education at a University level- a lot of useless degrees and equally useless students coming out of the system. Four years would be much better spent working for many of them. But that's not really the issue at hand.

That is (one of the) issues at hand:
Here we also have excess of university degrees to the number of positions applicable. We also have a lack of specialized workers in some areas (construction for example) and our brighter researchers tend to go to the EU or the USA because there is also a lack of I+D+i funding by both companys and government.

I just ended my degree and im a bank teller with a temporal contract; thats hardly a work one would have to have got a "business administration and direction" 5 yrs degree to do... I also have courses and/or experience as a cameraman, non linear edition, 3D with maya, graphic design and webpages, children educator, Public relationships, copywriting and some programming...
should i have done a 2 yrs Proffesional Education as a plumber?
you know, those guys charge you whatever they wish... they are like the ****ing "Midas king"user added image)
Not only for the money!, only because i had genuine interest on plumbing...
Even if i dont get a work with a pay according to my qualifications, just the experiences learning and doing those things were positive for me as a person and, i hope, for those arround me.
Now, it is fair that generally speaking you get to the jobs that theorically (but not legally) require a degree more quickly because of who you know (or who you are son of) than because of what you know? NO

Yes i oversimplified and made a very brief abstract of a very large question. Involving economical politics, micro and macro -economy and the mathematical branchs called "econometrics" and "Game theory". Education is one of the typical political economy textbooks examples about externalties.

You got a point on the excess of demand vs offer of degree level works, and that those that have studied and dont get a work at that level have direct costs associated with it .

From an individual pov it isnt optimal, but if you optimize for the whole society the positive externalties overwhelm it.

And it is costing me more time and brain activity than what i initially tought to write a basic "complete big picture for laymans, no maths, youll have to believe me or research on you own" abstract paper on "Perfect Market, how the clasic economical theory says it would work, and why there isnt one example of it on the face of earth" and "Political economy: externalties, the education"... but they will come...
__________________________________________________ _

Originally posted by Kaydray

I'm in the middle of reading More's 'Utopia'....is it supposed to be sarcastic, or does it just come across that way because we've seen communism try and fail?

Havent read it, should i buy it and put it on my "to read" stack of books?
Have you read 1984? Its postulates are ridiculous, are they?

Last edited by dragonfx; 07-08-2004 at 11:39 AM.