View Single Post
# 7 13-04-2007 , 10:03 AM
Hope this helps, Perfecto.

First, download the "make tubes" script from here:

https://www.lightstorm3d.com/download...createTube.htm

Stick it on your desktop, or whatever...but open it up, and extract all 3 of the files to your Maya X.X scripts folder.

If Maya is already open, type "rehash" in the command line, and then type "createTube;" this will start the script, and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

However, you will first need a curve for the script to act ON; make the model's head live, so you can draw a curve on it. Use the CV curve tool, and hold "v" so that you can point snap your curves control points to where-ever your models eyesocket-vertices are. You might have to zoom in quite a bit to do this. Lastly, be sure to snap your final control point to your first control point.

Make the head un-live.

Now run the script (with the curve selected), and enter your parameters (no worries; it has construction history, so once you make it, you can tweak numbers as you see fit in the channel box).

Hope this method works ^_^

As a side note, Maya has a built-in feature that allows you to do the same as the above script...but I don't know what it is, or where/how to access it :p

Really, the above script is just as good, if not better.

EDIT:

The above method will make a NURBS surface; if you want it to be polys, you will have to delete it's history, and go to Modify -> Convert -> NURBS to Polygons.

EDIT:

Uh-oh...I've been messing around with this, and snapping the last control point of a curve to the first one is making a subtle "teardrop" look.

I'll try working at it to see if I can remedy it; I'll let you know if I make any progress.

EDIT:

Create the CV curve, and snap the last point to the first point. Press enter to complete the curve, and make sure it is selected. Now go to Edit Curves -> Open/Close Curve -> Options. Reset the settings and apply.

But now if you run the createTube script, you still get a slight "pinched" teardrop-like shape...grrr...:headbang:

EDIT (again!?):

At the point where I joined the first and last points, I right-clicked, and chose "isoparms," and selected the two that make up the "pinch."

Under Edit NURBS -> Isoparms -> Options, reset the settings, but change "At Selection" to "between Selections."

This leaves the pinch, but if you can find a way to delete the other two isoparms and get clean geometry, all is well and good in the universe...I tried simply selecting and deleting them, but Maya oddly offsets the remaining central edge.

Last edited by severinianthony; 13-04-2007 at 10:52 AM.