View Single Post
# 29 03-01-2006 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
Hey Some Guy,

Looks like you're attempting to patch model, with extruding edges around your reference

Maybe try working on a specific part of the head like the eye for example. Keep at it for several attemps untill you feel happy with that area and then move onto something else, nose, mouth and eventually ear... then you can fill in the gaps to make a complete model. The Eye is always a good place to start....

here is an example of how I model, this is by no means the right way to do it, nor is it the only way, but maybe it will be of some use to you...

here you will see the significance of having good referance images to begin with.

Start off by creating a polygon around the eye area
user added image

View in the side plane and move the verticies into to fit with the curvature of the eye... try to visulise where the point is in the side view from its position in the front view!
user added image

Continue to build up the surface by extruding the edges of your polygon again using your side view to move each vert into roughly the correct position
user added image

Keep doing this to build up the surface
user added image

Smoothed version of the above...
user added image

Eventuall as you continue you can build up the surface quickly and accurately to conform to your referance images
user added image

I can't stress enough how important it is to have good referance to model to, especially in the early stages of learning.

I tried my hand at other techniques but found this one worked for me. This however was my "cup of tea" and its up to you to find your own way of doing things.

hope this helped,

Cheers

Jamie.