View Single Post
# 121 17-10-2009 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ctbram
2. Figure out how to get the paint over stuff from photoshop onto the model.

uhh, if you goign to do your texturing in photoshop you use your UVs as a guide, not a render
so, you go into your uv texture editor, export the UV layout as an image and paint on that. (normally you would add new layers in photoshop, change the layer blend mode to darken and inverse the colours (ctrl+i) and start painting

Originally posted by ctbram What is the difference between a bump map and a normal map? I know that a displacement map actually tessellates at render time and that a bump map simply gives the appearance of depth by playing tricks with light, but I don't know how normal a map differs?

the difference is the normal map has colour information about the direction the normal goes in at that particular point on the object.
when you use a bump map it gets converted to colour information anyway, using a normal map avoids that step, essentially there isn't much of a difference between the two bumps
normal maps just make things go faster (hence why it's useful in games)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D