Thread: Yamaha Roadstar
View Single Post
# 28 22-11-2005 , 06:44 PM
Sure clopper, here it is.

For the close up engine render above I had the following set up:

First, surround the entire model with a NURBS sphere, with the bottom quarter of the sphere deleted and replaced with a nurbs plane that is edge/global stitched to the sphere. This gives you a nice surrounding environment with a flat plane in the middle to set your object on. Make it considerably larger than your entire model. Make sure that in the render stats section for this environment, that cast shadows, and visible in reflections/refractions is turned off.

Next, assign a regular lambert to the environment, and also to your model. Make both a pure white color.

Finally, go to Render Globals and turn off "use default lights", turn mental ray settings to production quality, and Final gather rays to whatever your system can handle (the above render was 100 rays). Now here's the important part. Go to "image based lighting" in the mental ray section and hit create, which will bring up a window in the attribute editor. Hit the file icon and attach an HDR image of your choice. I used a beach scene with a yellow sunset and brown rocks for the above render which gives it the yellow tint. Doing this gives the clay render a subtle variance in color from the final gather bleed. Experimenting with different HDRI's can completely change the feel of your scene.

Render, and hope your system doesn't crash :headbang:

Here's my Porsche model rendered in the same way.

For the full bike shot I tried to fake this with a 3 light setup. It's not as good, but if you spend time messing with the position and intensities you can get close and render in a fraction of the time. Change the color of each light to try to fake the final gather bleed effect in the higher quality render.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images