View Single Post
# 8 21-12-2010 , 03:50 PM
Lifetime Member
Nova no need to apologise to ME for novel long replies, my average 'short post' is a page or so. And if I manage to keep it shorter you'll notice the next few posts on the thread are from me as well adding something!

I 'HAVE' AE but never really used it, did a tute once implanting a sheep from a stock vid onto this grassy patch on top of a spire of rock sticking out of the ocean... (liked the end result) And something about putting electric text over motorcross riders...? Don't really remember much about it but watching the Apache tute and other youtube vids where they used Fusion, Combustion or others, the ease of use in the flow APPEARS so much easier/more user friendly than I remember AE being. Theres no benefit at all to me 'sticking' to AE. Figured nows the time to jump ship if I'm going to.

Having the same/similar software to what might be used in future tutes here was my biggest concern, being able to get help from others here was a bonus. If I found 90% of users here used shake then even though I've never seen so much as a screenshot of it, that would've made up my mind for me.

As for my rendering to AVI, I guess sometimes I expect too much of my system, I'm not a techhead.. been told the guy who sold me a quad core operated by Vista saw me coming... I'd upped the rate of my particle emitter, upped the life span of the particles, I wasn't just trying to make it snow on one little grid sized plane and my snow storm was to go for about 500 frames... And I was doing other things in the background like playing a Towerdefence game while I waited... I believed because Maya just 'Did It' in the viewport when I hit the play button that I wasn't really asking that much of it! Guess thats still tens if not hundreds of thousands of sprites and there motions to be calculated??? We're beyond 2000 now, PC's can do that in the blink of an eye right??

I have just redone the scene and only 'upped' the settings a smidge... 400 frame Avi now completed with the tutes included tiffs (same error messages present -shrug- ) 20+ minute render time. Still seems long for the output I got... I know the studios have 'Render Farms' but this tute has made me wonder whether it'll take me longer to render my WIP than its taking to MAKE the thing.....

Bullet you're right that is a BS excuse, the imagined lag that he blames for his 'fragging' on his PC can't be more than 1/100 of a second different to mine! But he also likes the bigger screen, my 5.1 bass that makes the windows rattle user added image My wife has her own PC, not a very good one I'm ashamed to admit, but it runs facebook and Zoo Tycoon just fine. Sims 2 but not Sims 3 very well.

David/Nilla is it better for this site to post vids to Youtube or elsewhere and then link to them here, or does it not really matter?? If i post my snow this isnt really the thread for it anyway.

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.

Last edited by 3dStudent; 21-12-2010 at 03:58 PM.