Thread: Why Maya?
View Single Post
# 70 07-11-2002 , 06:18 PM
SM Alumni
rant time.
Just look what Apple have done to Shake!!! pretty much killed it in its tracks... I dont know how many of you hang out on the shake list serv but when apple bought it there was absolute uproar.
Windows hardware is faster than mac hardware. Period. Compositing software such as shake requires fast hardware, hence the overwhelming majority of shake users ran it on windows boxes. The only thing that makes macs "easier" to use is the fact that they only have one mouse button.. well alas for mac users any highend piece of software uses 3. I'm aware OSX supports 3 buttons, but now where is the ease of use in that? user added image
They have ceased windows development (2.5 was the last version) and are not totally committed to linux. They are offering special discounts on existing windows users to get osx licenses at 1/2 price.. well whoopie doo. The sooner apple abandon theyre archaic architecture and embrace intel/amd hammer architecture the better, but I would still be pysically sick if they laid theyre hands on A|W.

Someone tell me why Apple would be a better choice than Microsoft? When MS bought Softimage they pumped a shedload of cash into development (which ok was primarily for a win32 port), got them into a position where they could start on XSI and then sold it on. Did they stop IRIX development? NO! they had some degree of sense and recognised that keeping the majority of theyre customers (which back then were the SGI/IRIX users) happy was a priority. Apple would likely kill windows support if they bought A|W just like they have with shake, again alienating the majority and potentially forcing them back to softimage..
So to echo moocows words - oh PLEASE not Apple!!! PLEASE!!!
rant end.
user added image

*edit*runs in and gets rid of all the swear words. must remember NOT to post anything to do with Apple/Macs after getting back from the pub in the future user added image