View Single Post
# 1 14-12-2010 , 05:13 PM
Acid44

Upgrading from Vista to 7. A series of questions.

Lately Ive been having a ton of problems with my computer, all of which could be attributed to:

A) Corrupt Windows install.
B) Dying hard drive.
Or C) The fact that my power supply has about half the power my PC needs.

Because Id rather not dish out $100 for a new HDD or $200 for a new PSU, I'm going to hope with all ym little heart that it's a corrupt windows install, and try to deal with that for now.

So as of now, the situation is this; I want to format but I have about 200 Gb of data that needs backing up, I don't have and external drive to do this with, or a spare hard drive laying around. The partitioning tools int windows, along with Partition Magic, fail when trying to split my drive.

As far as I can tell this would suggest a dying HDD, but as I said, I'm trying to avoid it being that, or rather, trying to avoid thinking about it being that. So now I'm looking into options of fixing windows without formatting. The repair option on my Vista CD doesn't work, it's grayed out, or else I'd try that. Because of this I was thinking of just reinstalling Vista over my current Vista, or 7 over it, whichever is more recommended.

While I know that this can cause many issues, I have no further option right now. I don't have the money for an external drive to backup my files and, I have a TON of work that I really need to get done, so I can't wait any longer to fix this thing.

So I was just wondering, if I do this, would all my programs still be installed, or would I have to install them again? Would it dick about with any of my files? And finally, Vista or 7? I know everyone will say 7 in a normal situation, but I don't know how it works when installing it over another version of Windows.

Thanks d00ds, sorry for the longwindedness.user added image