View Single Post
# 1 11-11-2010 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber

Talking Compositing (and getting a headache)

Wow.

I have been doing that Nuke Workshop recently, inbetween working on the Hind and bits, and I have to say, I dont think I was really prepared for what was involved. I guess I saw it beforehand as something of an extension of 3d/2d, and that it might even be somewhat easier knowing what I already know, but....I did not anticipate what a whole different kettle of fish it would be. Between the lecture notes and videos from the workshop Im doing, some of the course notes on FXPHD (which Im considering doing in the new year) and other reading material, it really is asking me to use a whole different part of my brain that I usually dont.

This is the third CG workshop I have done this year, and none have asked me to truly study and concentrate like this one. You often hear dont you, about the balance between art and science, and how software is created with one or the other in mind. I think never has that dichotomy seemed more clear to me than in learning Nuke. Im findng it really is Science/math before art.

Perhaps it is the node based structure that is throwing me off. I think since I started learning about CGI two and a half years ago, this is the most challenging thing Ive ever done.