View Single Post
# 6 04-08-2004 , 07:28 AM
Well dear Watson; that is THE question isn’t it? user added image

if i had a theorical model that were absolutely right where i couldnt see any imperfections myself AND would it be implementable in the practice without insurmontable oppositions whatsoever i would be winning the nobel price on economics, peace (and maybe literatureuser added image) right now....

The thing is: democracy and free market are the worst of the systems there are, with exception of all the others tested before...
BUT there isnt in the world an example of perfect democracy nor perfect free market.

So the other question is how do we steer the world torwards them?

I just can tell you the decisions and actions that are being taken right now by politicians and monopolys (err i mean... the big companys) mostly point directly on the other direction...

And it isnt a question for the rich to think but for all of us lowly bees

There are also problems with perfect free market and perfect democracy.
As you can see on my sig the gratest problem are the externalties.
Externalty can be defined most generaly as an unpercieved cost (negative externalties) or benefit (positive externalties) derived of the acts of somebody.
It is usually aplied to economics and the usage/production of goods. But the thing is that it can be also extended to social/political actions.
The simple examples are the one of the factory that pollutes to a river (if the costs of loosing the riverlife (and being unable to swim on it...) or the costs of cleaning it arent beared by the factory nor the end consumer the good is produced and demanded in excess of the optimum level)
And education (were the benefits are underpercieved by both the individual and the group (country/world...) and thus under produced and demanded)
But the concept of exterenalty can be applied to every thing and action.

The problem is that in perfect market we would use our percieved utility as the price of the action, rarely taking into consideration the externalties.
How to always take into consideration the externalties in the practice before making a decision (or at least implement political/economical/social systems that do) is the question of the billion...

Last edited by dragonfx; 04-08-2004 at 10:50 AM.