View Single Post
# 92 04-11-2004 , 08:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys
I'd like to get back to what Mike and Nitroliq said about the 3d Industry regarding 'other areas'. Myself I work for a national newspaper owned by Sir Rupert Murdoch and theres just 5 of us doing the Maya stuff creating a 3d comic strip on a daily basis. It can be tough going at times as we have to meet deadlines. But the really cool thing about it is that we as a team get to do everything., and I mean everything. We all build, texture, light, render, sometimes animate if necessary and comp stuff all in one day. And also in between I'm busy doing the character modelling and rigging etc, while the others build sets and other cool stuff.

What I'm getting at is that if I worked, for instance at a major film/games company I wouldn't get to do this stuff but would get pidgeon holed into say just texturing all day which can , and lets admit it, get tedious as can other areas if you do the same thing day in day out. So really everyone should have a real good think about what they wanna do in the industry as an overall job. Myself and the team at the end of the day dont work the hours around the clock, instead we have a tight working relationship where everyone gets the job done and goes home to enjoy the other aspects of life which can sometimes go by the wayside in this industry as a whole because of the time you need to put in. Believe me I've been there and didn't enjoy it. It made me hate the job I loved. But now I'm back on track and all is well. Which is nice!!
Anyway my 10 pence worth of ranting as always.
Regards to you all
_J