View Single Post
# 23 06-04-2003 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys perhaps one of the biggest reasons why ppl prefer using GI_Joe over MR is because of the render speed. MR is so damn slow in comparison when it comes to GI.

Nem u say u hardly ever use anyother lights other than spots. I think alot of ppl approach it this way too. Only thing is, its probably not the best attitude to have when it comes to lighting for specific purposes. For example, directional lights are best used for outdoor scenes when u r trying to represent sunlight. When u use point lights, as in ur example...the angle of the shadows arent correct cos u find u have to position the point light so far away from the scene in order for it to light correctly. So the shadows kinda appear flat. Its a lot harder to create accurate sunlight from a point light.

But u r spot on (no pun intended lol) about using the 3 point lighting system as a basis to work from.

Lighting I think is the most important factor in making ur work move from adequate to top notch. If u have a great light setup, it improves the quality of ur render output no end user added image

And yes...I think ppl should practice with creating their own light setups rather than just diving headlong into GI_Joe and what have u. It bodes better for the future. GI_Joe rocks tho!

Great examples in this thread Nem - top man!!

Last edited by alexgc; 06-04-2003 at 02:43 AM.