View Single Post
# 1 25-04-2011 , 12:51 AM
Lifetime Member

Mental Ray Issues

Hey all,

I'm trying to do some test renders of a steampunk nuke reactor environment I'm currently working on. I'm using mental ray and the problem is when I press render it takes over a hour to render out a single image and that's with my render settings set to preview!

I've looked at my computers performance stats whilst rendering and it appears as if mental ray isn't utilising any of my core i7 930 CPU. The RAM usage jumps from 2.5gb to around 5gb and the CPU usage stays at around 1% occasionally jumping up to 20%, but never any higher.

Does anyone know of a bug with mental ray or a setting somewhere that i should have ticked on that would cause this to happen. Im using Maya 2011 and have Win7 64 bit os...

This is only a problem with MR, when i tried rendering using Maya software my CPU jumps to 100% and a few seconds later I have an image, however this project is for a uni assessment and I have to use MR....

PLEASE HELP..I have to have this environment light, rendered and composited within the next two weeks....

-JOel