Thread: Maya Live
View Single Post
# 7 07-02-2007 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
Gotta be honest with ya Robbie, dunno how you're going to go collecting a full _scene_ for a tute like that. You ideally need not only the video footage, but also the measurements taken of the area _too_.

You only need a video of a few seconds of something pretty basic. Convert to AVI or image sequence then go from there. From memory, all the scene really consists of is a poly/nurbs plane with the video applied to it as a texture. Live works out the rest, but you kinda need to have survey measurements.

3DWorld mag from Nov2006 had a pretty good article on putting 3d objects inside a real environment, though it's probably not really what you're after as I believe the camera doesn't get moved, so they just use the measurements they took when in the car-park. They then put a mech-warrior type thing in there. The article was actually called "How can I light a CG model to match a real environment?"

Iy you're just trying to get the hang of how to use live, I could probably send you some basic video along with the relevant measurements, and at a pinch I may even be able to get the basics of the scene for ya. But you'd have to do all the work involved in working out where the camera is. That's the only hard(and laborious) bit anyway. The rest of it's like building with Lego.

S.