View Single Post
# 1 21-11-2005 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber

Hubert (polygon head)

First, apologies for subjecting you to yet another one of these heads. I finally had some time over, and thought I would give a first try at modeling a polygon head.

So far I haven't used any image planes simply because I've just been ad-libbing it. I have worked from Steven Stahlberg's picture about edgeloops, because I had no idea what-so-ever where to start modeling, and I've seen people talk about edgeloops here like it's something worth keeping in mind.. so..

.. jeez, I do have to admit that when starting working on this head I was 100% lost, and had no idea how to proceed; but as I kept working, correcting as I went along, I experienced this wonderful feeling of everything just.. becoming clear to me.

The numbering aren't in the order of which I created the model.

Now, the next step for me is to start to try and add some details--going to find some anatomical references--and tweak the face some more. I want his cheeks, chin, and jawbone to be as defined as I can with as little geometry as possible. I plan on trying to get this into Zbrush at a later time..

I'm posting all this for some critique; but also because I know everyone else's posts in here inspire me, from the newest greenhorn to the most aged veteran, and chances are someone will benefit from this post as well.. user added image

Pictures 1-4 showing the current state of the model.
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
Picture 5 illustrating exactly where I started modeling. A single polygon (marked with the 'X') plane from where I Edge Extruded upward along the red arrows.
user added image
Picture 6 is just for fun, showing the first result, before tweaking. I think the only thing that I was satisfied with was the silhouette of the noise.. The actual shape of the face was just horrible, horrible..
user added image