View Single Post
# 11 06-11-2003 , 03:46 AM
Love spam. Mmmm... meaty!

Hey guys, it's true that when you post your email address to public websites, there are spiders out there that do nothign but crawl the web all day looking for them. But that be helped most of the time. However, if it's your own site, here's a nifty little trick to spoof those email address hunters. For you HTML gurus, you'll catch on real quick to this.

For every page you have an email link on, put the following java script into the head of your html:

<SCRIPT language=javascript>
<!--
function mask(end,middle,start,subject){
var one ='mai';
var two='lto:';
var three='?Subject=';
start,middle,end,subject;
var putogether= one+two+start+middle+end+three+subject;
document.location.href=eval('"'+putogether+'"');
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>

Now, for every email link, put in the following:

javascript:onClick=mask('shost.com','email@your',' your','HA HA! Fooled you!')

What this does is it seperates your email address into nonconsecutive parts that a spider can't read. The java script then puts it all together so from the link info above it will read: youremail@yourhost.com And it will also automatically insert the subject line, "HA HA! Fooled you!", for you. Neat, huh? user added image

If you look on my CONTACT ME page, I have different emails containing different subject lines but all going to the same email address. This way, if a spider should come across my webspace, it won't see any email addresses. user added image Helpful, especially for those who get lots of emails, and helps to differentiate between the good stuff and the spam.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 06-11-2003 at 03:48 AM.