View Single Post
# 7 05-03-2007 , 09:16 AM

Re: How do I get the total poly count?

Originally posted by Jr.Who
I went to Display>HUD>Poly Count, but which one is the total poly count of the scene?

The left-most number is the count of polys/verts/uvs/tris in your viewing area...move your camera around and you'll see what I mean, as those numbers will change.

For example, just create a basic poly cube, and the number of faces should read "6." Move/Pan/Rotate your camera away from the cube, and that number should change to "0."

The middle number is how many polys/verts/uvs/tris are contained in your current selection; IE, the whole object.

The right-most number is how many of something you have selected out of how many there are in an object.

For example (again, lol), make a poly cube; the left-most faces and verts should be 6 and 8, respectively. Now go to component selection mode, and just grab 2 vertices (ONLY 2!). The verts should read, from left to right: 8 8 2 (which means 8 in the scene being viewed, 8 vertices that make up the object you have selected, and 2 of which are specifically selected).

I hope that made sense...:headbang:

EDIT:

Therefore (getting back to your question), you can't technically have a complete count of EVERYTHING in your scene if it's not showing up in your camera's viewing area. You would have to zoom waaaaay out to get a complete count.

I thought you would be able to just select everything, and get a count by looking at the middle numbers, but unfortunately, that backfired when I tried an experiment; I made a bunch of cubes, 'till I had 960 faces, and when I zoomed in to the point that some of them were no longer in the viewing area (the left-number decreased, as expected). However, when I selected everything, the middle numbers matched the left numbers; it only shows the count of everything you have selected, AND is in your current viewing space.

Annoying -.-

Last edited by severinianthony; 05-03-2007 at 09:22 AM.