View Single Post
# 1 30-12-2003 , 05:02 PM

How to Make a Polygon Tree Sway in Wind....

Hello everyone,

I have a polygon tree, that has fruit on it, and would like to simulate the type of wind animation that is built into PaintFX for its tubes/trees. Wind is important for this porject as this apple tree is being mixed with windy video footage of other apple trees. Here's my strategy to make it animate properly:

1. Make the tree a softbody, then paint goal weights along all the branches so that the outtermost parts of the branches are affected by the wind and bend more than the inner parts

2. Than I would have to use some sort of combination of fields (such as Air, Gravity and Turbulence) to create the actual wind to affect the goals and animate the tree.

Now I understand the "concept" of how to do this, but I do not have very much experience with using goals, painting weights/clusters (although I do have a tablet), or creating an affective combination of fields that looks anywhere near as realistic as the animation PaintFX provides built in. Don't get me wrong, I do know where all of these features are, and have got some good results in the past, but not as advanced as this, and I'm afraid I've hit a wall. If anyone, knows how to affecitivley create a wind simulation on a poly tree, and can elaborate on how to execute my strategy, or if you have a better one, please let me know! user added image

Thanks in advance,

-=Ralph=-

P.S. I have a similar question on this forum about adding fruit to a PaintFX tree with the wind already animated. I would prefer to do the tree that way as the animation looks solid, and it's easier to fine tune the results. Check that post out as well:
https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=9574