View Single Post
# 1 16-02-2010 , 11:44 PM
EduSciVis-er

Primitive Battle

Open challenge for everyone here! I'm hoping lots of people will jump in this one, cause it's really easy to do.

Here's how it goes:
Create a scene using only primitives
Rules:
1) Primitives must be polygons (cube, sphere, helix, torus etc.)
2) Maximum 50 primitives in your scene
3) Primitives may be translated, rotated or scaled in any or all axes, but may NOT be modified at the component level (e.g. no adding or moving vertices)
4) lambert1 is your only material, no texturing
5) Light your scene and render it, do ambient occlusion, raytrace shadows, whatever, but no photoshop or color

The focus here is on form, shape, line, proportion, and balance. Being able to recognize simple shapes in the real world is a plus for good design and composition (so I'm told user added image). This can be really simple so I'm hoping even very new beginners to Maya will join in. But you can also take this very deep and focus on spatial relationship and interesting formations, maybe?

I should add that the idea is to create a scene, not just an object, that conveys some story or emotion. If you like, think of the psychological impact that certain shapes hold.

Make a new thread with your name and "primitive battle" here in the battle arena. Deadline is less than a week, this coming Sunday at midnight. If this goes well, we'll start a new thread (maybe here, maybe in the Finished Projects section) for the final entries. Judging based on a poll or if a moderator wants to judge, that would be great too.

-stwert

Website - Blog - YouTube - Vimeo - Facebook - Twitter

-->How to Effectively Ask Questions on Forums<--

Last edited by stwert; 17-02-2010 at 12:33 AM.