View Single Post
# 6 18-02-2008 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber
Success! Thanks for your help, Bruce.

I went back to my original "Frankie", the version where I hadn't cut out a hole in the bottom of the head; thereby creating a place to insert the neck.

Instead of making a hole I simply lowered the head onto the neck, ensuring plenty of neck "punctured" up through the head, chose Union and it turned both objects into a single polygon!

Another note of interest, I found that when I converted the torso into a polygon it had too many sharp, jutting edges and at first I just accepted it as the way things normally worked. I found, however, that the more isoparms I added to the model the smoother it looked when converting from nurbs to polygons.

My question is this; is there a performance hit, during rendering, if you attempt to cover a model uniformly with isoparms? I am assuming that the more isoparms you create, the smoother the model becomes but ultimately creates a burden for the computer. Is this so?

I have a pretty decent computer set up and Maya has two processors and at least 3 GBs or ram to work with and in the coming months I am sure I will find the threshold of diminishing returns for my system, especially when it comes rendering.

In the meantime I would like to convey my gratitude to you and the folks who maintain this website; for providing free assistance and the videos to cut my teeth on. I hope one day, to make a contribution as well.

Again, thanks Bruce, your help is appreciated.