Thread: Save crash
View Single Post
# 2 26-10-2012 , 03:02 PM
If the file is corrupted and it's a binary there is little that can be done. If the file can be opened then saving it back out as a .ma might make it able to be fixed by someone that has the skill to read and correct a maya ascii file.

Often times it's your preferences file that get corrupted and some of that can be stored in the scene file. So this is the procedure I usually follow if I suspect a problem...

1. open the scene file and select and export the objects in the scene to a new file
2. close maya
3. on windows go to the user documents folder > maya > 2013-x64 (or whatever version you are using) > prefs

and delete the userprefs.mel file (or rename it if you want to save it)

4. restart maya and open the exported scene file
5. resave it and verify it does not crash

At this point you have reset you userprefs files settings to the default and also reset any settings saved in the original scene file that may have been causing problems. You will have to reset your custom settings under windows > preferences.

NOTE:

Since maya 2009 I have had to do this so often that now once I have configured my windows > preferences the way I like I make a backup of the userprefs.mel file. If things get borked all I do is expoprt the object as in step 1 above and then just replace the existing userprefs.mel file with my copy that I just keep in the same folder all the time.

Also note if the problem is being caused by third party nodes this procedure will not really help you. In that case you'll have to see if removing the third party nodes fixes the problem and if it does you'll need to contact the vendor to report a bug with the nodes created by their app.

-Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 26-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.