View Single Post
# 11 05-06-2008 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
I can feel the heat from here:bandit:

Of course this is all right from both parties.

And of course I will just add my ten pennys worth here. What we see here is not an animation where a multitude of sins can actually be hidden in the motion - blurred if you will, as animation demands movement and weighting to name a few to emote a response say on a more emotional level whereas a single 3d image or images will get scrutinised beyond this point purely through the fact its in your face. Things will stand out more or are open to scrutiny. I look at my stuff each day and know exactly alot of the pin points people will look at., and therefore try to eradicate probs before they are pointed out. But its just never going to go away...we as humans know ourselves so well

Of course we all have our opinions at the end of the day, but the one thing I find is overlooked is that we are all different in every respect...but 3d being what it is we are all striving for a perfect model everytime

Having worked with GioChrono on two large 3d comics for two different companies we know how it is on the front line. And I'd like to point out that on a couple of occasions we've had people work with us who have worked at places like Pixar, Framestore even Alias teachers who have been absolutely staggered and had their jaws drop at what was being attempted. So ya know
But just to point out something to Gio, remember my friend that we arent dealing with total comic book geeks on these forums, a few of these guys are doing production or studying 'whatever' so they wont be blinded by the pretty pictures we create, they will go for the jugular LOL.

We just have to take the rough with the smooth and if the crit is justified, great, take it onboard for future use and move on to the next piece, if its a load of arse just laugh and ignore it.

It aint gonna happen- but Im still trying to get it pixel perfect too

cheers
Jay

quoted for agreement. thats the entire truth Jay. you nailed it with the still image part.
i showed this thread to a mate last nite too, and an important thing he said to me was "art isnt reference".
although he does more editing and camera work, less vfx, i realize immediately where he was getting at. and it fits well with what jay said about perfection and having a perfect model each time.
no one is doubting the fact that gio's work is great, however, even the imperfections on a model are always perfectly modeled. in other words, a flat lip that is purposely modeled imperfectly, to show a scar or to show a key feature in a character, will not stand out as much as lips modeled imperfectly or poorly...
the lips are what jumps out immediatrly when i look at this image. and its not because its a striking feature on the character, but rather because it looks 'funky' and it takes away a lot fromt an otherwise great composition.

Image dump

Last edited by vladimirjp; 05-06-2008 at 05:36 PM.