View Single Post
# 1 11-08-2011 , 07:13 AM

Getting good in texturing

Hi user added image.

I'm new to this forum. And I'm new to the world of CG. Ok I'm not super new, I started out learning Maya about a year ago. I learned the very basics of all the stuff (modeling, texturing, rigging, animation etc.) to figure out what I would like to get deeper in.
I'm about to do a career change, heading for the CG industry. Not now of course, I know I have a long way to go.
But if I could snap my fingers and choose a job in this industry, it would be texturing. I love it, ok I'm really really bad at it, because I didn't really get deeper into it while learning and trying out all the other areas. But now I'm sure that texturing is the thing I love to do. I can imagine that it's so rewarding getting a model or envirement, and after it leaves your desk, it just looks awesome!

BUT... I have no clue where and how to start and master the art of texturing. I've got a few questions for you guys.

- I don't like modeling, do I have to be a good modeler to become a good texturer and have chances of getting a job? (I'm speaking of getting a job after at least 3 years of learning. I'm in now rush but know where I want to be in about 3-4years).

- I'm getting confused jumping between UVMapping, Texturing and Lightning tutorials. Are there any good tutorials which will lead me from A to Z to get comfortable with it?

- What about online programs? I know there are plenty for animation, not that much for modeling and a few for riggers. Are there any for people who want to become professionals in texturing? I'm a working professional, I have to learn on my evenings and weekends.

F.Y.I. I don't care about getting into the movie or game industry as long as I can do what I enjoy, someday.
Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers!
Me