View Single Post
# 1 24-01-2005 , 02:13 AM

Translfer UV Sets

Hello everybody,

I'm going crazy here

I'll explain my problem with one example:

Let's say I have a blinn material (or whatever) then I map a fractal texture on the color node and a bulge texture as a bump map. When I go to the UV map editor I can easily see the fractal image in the background. But then, how can I see the bulge image so I can manipulate the UVs for the bump map independently of the fractal texture? (I've tried with different UV sets for each texture but nothing happens, I only see the fractal texture)

after 3 days of headaches I've figured out a solution (althought it's not a very elegant one):

1- I duplicate the mesh once it's ready for texturing.
2- I map a texture into the color channel of the original mesh and create a UV set for it.
3- before mapping a second texture into the bump map channel (wich I never see on the UV texture editor) I map it into the color channel of the duplicated mesh an create a new UV set for it (now I can see the texture image on the UV editor and adjust the UVs)
4- Once I've finished adjusting the UVs on the duplicated mesh I use Polygons>Transfer UV sets to the original mesh.
5- Finally I go to the relationship editor, I select the original mesh and connect the trasferred set (from the duplicated mesh) to the bump map (or to any other I want).

So, if someone knows a better solution, I'd really appreciate any suggestions

Best

Eduardo