View Single Post
# 1 26-08-2011 , 03:00 AM

Work Flow High Poly/Low Poly

Okay, I'm a little lost in my work flow.

I would like to start doing normal maps on my models. I got the concept down and I understand how it works (mostly!).

I am curious on your workflow to create high poly models to create normal maps to apply to the low poly models.

I'm a little confused on one part. If I create a high poly model in ZBrush or Mudbox for example, then export the normal maps into the low poly - won't it look funny because the UVs aren't the same?

My thought process is this, but please correct me if something is amiss or there's a way to simplify the procedure so I'm not wasting a lot of time.
  • Create low poly in Maya
  • UV Unwrap Low Poly
  • Export model into Zbrush or Mudbox
  • Create High Poly model
  • Export Normal Map
  • Export Model
  • Edit Normal Map in Photoshop if needed
  • Create Textures in Photoshop
  • Import High Poly Model
  • Use Displacement Map from High poly model to Low Poly model
  • Apply texture and Normal map to Low Poly

How long does it normally take you to complete the process of a simple model - such as a bed headboard for example (didn't pull that out of my hat, as I was working on it today). To me, it seems awfully a long time just to do one model. Perhaps I'm not experienced enough to be faster at low poly modeling?

I was thinking about removing the bevels, and allow the Normal map do the "curvature". I see so many models that were Low Poly, with sharp edges, yet, when it's rendered, it's so smooth and has a small curve as if it was beveled.
There's no extra edge loops around the edges. How do I do that?! It can't be mia_roundedcorners material...

Is it done in Zbrush/Mudbox? I am assuming that it's all done from Normal Maps. I want to be sure that I'm right or wrong, that way I don't have to worry so much on having a high poly count.

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!