View Single Post
# 102 22-09-2005 , 06:58 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Falott

Ive been looking thru my rigs here, and concerning the arm duplication ect, this type of thing is only really done on the foot set up as you are not 'mirroring the joints but merely moving then on translation in world space.

I have been shown a couple of ways to do the arms, BUT on all occasions the joint chains, orients plus iK etc were done before any SDK work was applied. Mainly the reasons are because the joint orients are facing opposite each other, minus x and positive x for example in the case of arms.

If you are concerned with the mirroring of joints, because of orientation, I would mirror one side, put that on a temp layer and redraw the chains, pain in the arse but worth it. Rigs and setup are probably one of if not the hardest part to do as its so damn fiddly. The first character I did for a production pipeline took me a month solid every day for 9hrs. I look at it now and it its holding well but I know I can do it better next time. The team I work with are happy with it though. Heres a pic with a decent pose.

user added image

Cheers
Jay