View Single Post
# 1 09-09-2011 , 07:14 PM

Preparing a model before texturing...

Hi,
This is my first message on the forums. Hoping to start an helpful thread... I started modelling nearly nearly 5 months ago. I have watched several tutorials on modelling , and learned alot... But when i started learning about texturing, a new problem came up. Since i learned all the aspects of modelling from here and there, and different tutorials, i kinda completed a big puzle by myself and i dont have a work flow knowledge. I put my models and complete works in my hard drive and started learning other helpful software on how to improve modelling and decrease the time on some spesific parts of modelling process. Now my problem occured when i imported an 8M polygon model into maya and tried to complete the mechanical parts of my zbrush model. I know the viewport perfomance with an avarage pc like mine is hard, but i tried to read some information about how to clean up the model before start texturing and do the grouping process. When i opened my hyerarchy, i even couldnt scroll all the window to the end. I had millions of actions saved in there and i know its not a clean project. I dont know how to group or what to delete from my model before giving it to a texture artist or animator...
I am trying to find a very helpful source on how to prepare a clean model before texturing. All the clean up process and things to do on modelling process... I feel like, if i give my models to a texture artist and say "there it is, its ready to texture...", i would get a big sharp smile and a face spasm afterwards...
A book would help, a video would help more as long as its a biiiiiigg source on how to prepare an industry standart clean model. The level im at is; I need to improove my role by learning the work flow now... I know the techniques t ocreate a model, but i dont know what im going to do with it. What extra work i need to do , to prepare this model for texturing and animation process. user added image