Thread: Furry Creature
View Single Post
# 14 08-07-2006 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
Damn, looks nice! I really like the variety of possible costumes you came up with! If you'll indulge me, I will make a couple of historical suggestions concerning his clothing (I'm an 18th century military/naval history nut among other things):

Pirates as we know them flourished from the late 1500s right up until the mid 19th century (and in some areas, to the present day), but the "classic" era of pirates was c. 1660-1800. Coats from the late 1600s through about 1750 would have had very large cuffs on them (they became somewhat smaller after 1770 and were the same size as the sleeve by 1800). Assuming it won't get in the way of animation, the coat would REALLY (IMO) benefit from the addition of a cuff! I might also increase the space between the lapels of the coat to reveal more of the sash underneath (a very nice touch, and don't worry about the knot!).

Generally, a successful pirate captain would have chosen to "flaunt" his wealth by wearing the gaudiest, most gilded clothes he could afford (or steal). As most pirates weren't "gentlemen", they had no real idea of fashion and would mix and match various styles as suited them individually.

All this was in contrast with the various military, naval, and colonial forces sent to stop them. 18th Century naval ratings had no regulation uniforms (though they appeared uniform as they were all supplied with similar clothes); naval officers generally wore blue uniforms with gold trim (your character could easily be made to look like one if you choose the blue coat).

Armies/marines of the era had simple but smart regulation uniforms which were expected to be kept in good repair; officers had better quality uniforms with gold and silver trim).

Sorry for the excess info, but designing the costumes of one's characters is IMO one of the fun parts!

Can't wait to see him animated!

"Ad astra per aspera..."