View Single Post
# 1 09-07-2003 , 10:01 AM

Fluid initial state

Hi people,

This is my first post at simplymaya but I've been here a while trying to grasp the spirit of the forum.
I'm really a mechanical engineer who's taking the step towards cg after we bought Maya for some presentations. Aggressive pricing nowadays makes this a very priceworthy package even if you are not into organic modelling and animation. After playing around with it some after making my presentations I'm really hooked. So I'm still a newbie at maya but I've been working in 3D for 5-6 years.

Anyways, I'm having a problem in Fluid effects. What I'm trying to achieve is a initial state in a fluid which should be like a bitmap(i.e. a logo) I have.
Maya ships with an example of this (or is it available for download at their website, i don't remember) but it's a .mel script that you mmb drag onto your container.

Now .mel is the one (major) area in maya in which I have yet to poke around. I tried examining the .mel file and it contained some values and a reference to a .mci (i think) file. I have no idea what kind of fileformat this is. Would this be the only approach(mel) to do it or are there others?

I'm using a 2D container with heightmap turned on, and I'm on Maya5.0

Could someone explain how to do this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, CI