View Single Post
# 10 08-06-2010 , 12:37 AM
Technical Director

Originally posted by iamcreasy
I think you never actually gave it a (good)try.

I agree pelting may be bad, but it is only for non-organic models.But for organic pelting is undoubtedly far far better then automatic of whatever method you use.

Moreover, have you ever tried "UV Layout" from Headus?
I think you might change your mind after using that.

Hi creasy. I spent 4 months uving every day for many productions. I have used it. And if you look, I said "In my opinion"; so I have given it a "good" try.

I just don't like using pelt mapping. It takes me about 10 minutes to unwrap a head manually, and a bit more for pelt mapping, as I have to export the file, import, uv, export, import. I just like the control I get over the normal way than with pelt mapping. I also find that doing it by hand makes the uv's less odd looking, and makes it easier to paint on.

I would also stay away from tifs. In all the studios I've been it, it is an absolute no-no to use tif's, as it is a container format; there is no real specification for them; which means that every application may have a different way of handling them; which makes it a bit scary for us who use many different applications. Transfer to Max in particular. Targa's are usually a better bet in terms of compatibility between applications.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.