Thread: glass
View Single Post
# 3 06-12-2010 , 03:38 PM
Lifetime Member
Sorry Se7enhedd to hijack your thread, but a thread named Glass is where I thought this Q. belongs.
Nilla I have started your HDR glass tute because I have a glass topped table in one of my WIPs. Learning lots user added image thx.

But two questions.

(1)The refraction limit, I put several things on top of my table just to have something to reflect (all odd OBJs I have here and there) Several plain colored lambert materials and Vegeta who I assigned my Glass_S. At a limit of 1-2 I ony had the table top and one glass (left one) looking OK I (other glass things renderefd black and shiny. I upped it to 6 and the ball the table top and the two glasses rendered OK but Vegeta was Black, and there were/are no reflections of him on the table. So I upped the Limit to 20 and ALL my glass went black. Fiddled with settings and couldnt get him to render properly so I took him out. What is the limit 'Limiting' exactly? how many objects in the render can have refractions or how many times a ray of light can be refracted. Like if light gets refracted by a pane of glass and then hits a wine glass (going through two surfaces) is that needing 3 refractions limit. Why did going up to 20 screw up everything?

(2) Any idea why I get this weirdness in the right hand glass?

Want to add this is the best looking image I have ever created in 3D. Thx to both of you (David too).I didnt really get lighting until a few days ago. I still dont really get creating displacement/bump maps. Coloring in my model is the best I can do. And they always look crap when rendered. This table is GOING to have a procedural wood texture (under the glass top) but havent worked that out either. NEway thx again.

Attached Images

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.

Last edited by 3dStudent; 06-12-2010 at 03:52 PM.